Posted Thursday January 19, 2017
Location: West Liberty, IA
This position will actively develop, recruit and promote Economic Development in West Liberty. The Executive Director with the support of the board, manages the day to day operation of the WeLead organization (West Liberty Economic Area Development); formulates and carries out the short-term objectives to advance the board’s long-range plan; establishes operating procedures in compliance with local, state and federal laws, and policies set by the board.
WeLead is a drug-free workplace and committed to diversity and inclusion. The essential functions listed below are representative of duties performed by this job title. Duties generally include but are not limited to the following:
- This position will work closely to coordinate with all area group organizations and governmental bodies to help accomplish the shared vision to improve the community prosperity, standard of living and quality of life through planning and development.
- This position is responsible for program and budget management, volunteer management, and all program marketing and social media initiatives.
- The executive director is responsible for industrial recruitment, business retention and expansion, and the promotion of all commercial development.
- The person will serve on local, regional and statewide organizations in support of Economic and Community Development.
- Board of Directors: Participates in all Board and committee meetings. Responsible for maintaining a strong working relationship with the Board and prepares reports for Board meetings.
- Policy Formation and Implementation: Supervise the implementation of all Board policies. Provide Board with adequate information to help it reach sound decisions that abide with Board policies.
- Legal and Ethical: Avoid conflicts of interest. Serve the community as whole rather than specific community groups/organizations. Maintain independence and objectivity.
- Fiduciary: Need to comply with the three legal fiduciary duties related to their work: the Duty of Care, the Duty of Loyalty, and the Duty of Obedience.
- Staff and Administration: Supervise the selection, hiring, development and evaluation of staff members.
- Budget: Prepare & present an annual budget and submit it to the board for approval. Provide adequate monthly information to the board about the financial status of the organization.
- Public Relations: Represent the organization in all dealings with other organizations, individuals and the community. Promote a positive image of the organization in the community.
- Strategic Planning: Work with the board on Welead’s long-range plan. Develop short- range (one-year) objectives to meet the goals of the long-range plan. Report monthly to the board on progress toward organizational objectives and other issues of concern to the board.
- Economic Development experience is preferred.
- Grant Procurement experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated Public Relations experience is required.
- Demonstrated Leadership skills are required.
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communications skills are required.
- Strategic Planning and Organizational Goal Setting skills are preferred.
- Experience managing volunteers and employees is required.
- Marketing and Social Media is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, 4 years of relevant professional experience is required.
- Must be able to complete a background check and substance abuse testing.
Provisions listed in this Job Description may be changed or modified by WeLead without prior notice at any time, at the organizations sole discretion.
Please submit resume, cover letter and contact information for three references to apply for this position. Applications should be mailed or emailed by February 15, 2017.
WeLead Board of Directors
Sandee Buysse-Baker, Board President
119 E 3rd St
West Liberty, IA 52776